News

Actions

After missing man found dead, Office of Nightlife reminds tourists of important safety precautions

After missing man found dead, Office of Nightlife reminds tourists of important safety precautions
Conor Anderson 8 16 Interaction.mp4_frame_13569.jpeg
Posted

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Metro police found the body of 31-year-old Conor Anderson near a parking lot along James Robertson Parkway Thursday night.

Traveling in from Colorado for a work conference, he had been missing for days.

Police say there were no signs of foul play, and authorities are still working to learn exactly how he died.

Body camera footage from Sunday, one of the last times he was seen, shows him talking to police during a night out in East Nashville.

"I think it's critical everyone has a plan in place before you go out," said the director of the Mayor's Office of Nightlife, Benton McDonough.

McDonough added it's best to be with a group, stay in well-lit, policed areas, and have a safe ride home.

"At the end of the day, it's really up to the individual to get home safely, but we try to help as much as we possibly can," he said.

The office works in conjunction with Metro Nashville to promote public safety.

"We work as much as we can to get consensus with Metro Council on initiatives we do, in partnership with the police department and Nashville Downtown Partnership," said Mayor Freddie O'Connell at a press conference Friday. "We did get $15 million allocated from the state of Tennessee for downtown safety so we've been slowly advancing those initiatives..."

"Have a great time, but also understand that we are a major city and just be mindful of their surroundings," concluded McDonough.

He also mentioned the Red Frogs are often downtown or at crowded events, providing water and help to anyone having a night out.

Do you have more information about this story? You can email me at nikki.hauser@newschannel5.com.