Dozens Displaced After Bellevue Apartment Fire; Electrical Wiring To Blame

Posted at 7:21 PM, Jan 22, 2018
and last updated 2018-01-23 20:42:53-05

Dozens were displaced following a large apartment fire in Bellevue. 

The blaze broke out Monday night at Creekwood Apartments on the 7400 block of Highway 70 South. 

PHOTOS: Fire Breaks Out At Bellevue Apartments

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control. They rescued a cat from one of the apartments and thankfully, no injuries were reported.

According to the red cross and property manager, a total of 24 apartments were impacted by the fire. The red cross assisted 23 people who were displaced. 

Many residents had to save what they could and rush outside.

Mayor Megan Barry and and Council Member Sheri Weiner visited the apartment complex to talk to first responders and residents.

some text

Officials said the fire started due to electrical wiring failure, igniting combustible materials in a chase between apartments. A chase is a groove or space in walls or through floors of a building for piping or ducts.

The fire traveled into the chase, then into the floor space between the first and second floor, then into the attic compartment.

When the builders constructed the building in 1971 it met the codes of that time. When the building is rebuilt, it will have to meet current code requirements.

Fire officials said there were no sprinklers in the building, but there were working smoke alarms.

Shelters were made available at Bellevue Church of Christ and Bellevue Middle School. Officials from the Red Cross also responded to the scene to help those displaced.

The American Red Cross set-up command at the Bellevue Church of Christ, 7401 Highway 70 South, where staff and caseworkers will assist victims with lodging, medication, personal needs, counseling, food and finances. They can be reached at 615-250-4300.

The same apartment complex also caught fire in 2000. In that incident, 16 units were destroyed while firefighters struggled with water issues. No one was hurt in that blaze either.