Fire Crews Warn About Fire Danger from Hot Lawn Mowers

Posted at 8:51 PM, Jun 14, 2017
and last updated 2017-06-14 21:52:42-04

Fire officials have warned people about the fire risk hot lawn mowers can pose. Two mowers cause garage fires in the mid-state last week because the mower didn't cool down before it went back into the garage.

The warning was prompted by two fire calls calls in two weeks -- of hot gas-powered lawn mowers catching fire and causing a lot of damage.

Wilson County fire crews said a hot lawn mower likely started a fire at David Stovall's home on Old Shannon Road in Lebanon last week.

Just two days ago, Wilson county reported another fire started by a hot lawn mower on Goshen Road.

Fire crews said recently used lawn mowers can be so hot, they can ignite grass clippings on the mower or anything flammable nearby.

Most people don't think of it, but it's important to let lawn mowers cool down outside, away from flammable items, before putting them away.

Fire crews said their warning applies to any gas-powered equipment, not just lawn mowers.