NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Why wasn't more done to stop the downtown Nashville bomber? That was the main question from city leaders Monday to Metro's police chief.
Last week, NewsChannel 5 Investigates uncovered that Metro Police had been warned Anthony Warner was making bombs in his RV more than a year before his Christmas morning attack.
At a phone briefing for Metro Council members, some asked why that information hadn't been followed up further, to potentially prevent Warner from detonating his bomb.
Chief John Drake said he thinks law enforcement followed up as much as they could without violating Warner's constitutional right to privacy inside his fenced-in yard and home.
"To continue going on, and go on his property would be a violation of his rights," Drake said. "I’ve actually talked to several people in other states who have said the same thing, a prominent Nashville attorney even said the same thing: it would be violating his rights."