News

Actions

Officials urge Clarksville residents without power to stay safe while staying warm

Generator safety tips to avoid CO poisoning
CORP-Digital-Default-Image-1280x720-WTVF.png
Posted at 5:28 PM, Oct 30, 2019
and last updated 2019-10-30 18:33:23-04

CLARKSVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Remnants from Tropical Storm Olga packed a punch in middle Tennessee with winds whipping as fast as 70 miles per hour.

"We saw trees down on homes, power lines down, structure fire calls," said Bill Webb, EMS Chief of Montgomery County.

In Clarksville, the wind knocked down power lines, causing many to rely on generators for power. At one point there were more than 30,000 people without power.

EMS Chief Bill webb said people have been relying on generators but when not used correctly, they can be deadly. Electrocution, fire, and carbon monoxide poisoning are the main concerns. On Monday, two people became sick by carbon monoxide poisoning from using their generators inside.

Some signs of carbon monoxide poisoning includes dizziness, nausea, vomiting, and feeling tired.

Webb explains you should never use a generator inside a home, garage, or basement. Instead, keep them outside or near a window. If you start to feel sick or dizzy while using a generator get to fresh air right away. Also if you haven't already be sure to install a carbon monoxide detector inside your home. You can't see or smell carbon monoxide so it can hit you before you even realize it.

If you're using candles to light up your room make sure to never burn them near anything that can catch fire, like your bedding or drapes. Also blow them out before leaving a room or going to sleep.

There may still be downed power lines in your area. Remember, if you see any downed power lines, stay away. You should always assume that they are live.