Parole hearing set in January for Andrew Delke, former MNPD officer convicted in death of Daniel Hambrick

Former MNPD officer convicted in death of Daniel Hambrick
andrew delke pleads guilty
Posted at 12:18 PM, Dec 14, 2021
and last updated 2021-12-14 16:52:24-05

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — A parole hearing has been scheduled next month for Andrew Delke, who was convicted in the death of Daniel Hambrick.

Delke, who is a former Metro Nashville police officer, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter after striking a plea deal with District Attorney Glenn Funk. Since August, Delke has been serving time at the Davidson County Downtown Detention Center, not scheduled for release until January 2024.

He is set to appear before a parole board on January 10.

In a letter to the Tennessee Board of Parole, Attorney David Raybin, who represents Delke, wrote that as part of plea negotiations, Delke waived his parole consideration.

"He is serving a three-year sentence for voluntary manslaughter. As part of the plea negotiations, Mr. Delke affirmatively waived parole consideration as noted in the letter I sent to you contemporaneous with the plea," the letter reads in part. "Please provide this letter and attachments to the hearing officer considering the case and advise that Board rules permit a person to waive parole consideration and thus, we think Mr. Delke should be declined to the balance of the sentence or that consideration be declined in light of the waiver."

DA Funk also submitted a letter to the board, reiterating the plea agreement made and stating he does not support parole for Delke.

"If the Board nevertheless plans to go forward with the hearing on January 10, please let me know. I oppose any parole grant in this case and I will appear in person. In addition, the victim's family and supporters will also attend and I will need notice to coordinate with those individuals," Funk's letter said in part.

View both letters here

He was originally charged with first-degree murder after he shot and killed Hambrick while chasing him in 2018. Hambrick was 25 years old when he died. That charge would have come with the potential of facing life in prison.

The deal came just days before the trial was set to begin in July.