NASHVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — The Metro Nashville Police Department received a critical donation of surgical masks by the Tennessee American-Chinese Chamber of Commerce.
Police officials took to social media to publicly thank the chamber for the donation saying, "THANK YOU to John Wang & the Tennessee American-Chinese Chamber of Commerce for donating 10k surgical masks to MNPD officers. They will be used for any arrestees who are exhibiting signs of illness."
The department recently changed its protocol in light of the Coronavirus outbreak, reducing physical arrests for misdemeanor offenses.
MORE TENNESSEE COVID-19 COVERAGE
- June 5 COVID-19 update: 25,520 total cases, 408 deaths in Tennessee
- Nashville begins Phase 2 of reopening; includes live music, salons and gyms
- Mayor John Cooper announces four-phase plan to reopen Nashville
- COVID-19 assessment centers open in Nashville
- List of COVID-19 remote assessment sites in Tennessee
- Donate to the COVID-19 Middle Tennessee Emergency Response Fund
COUNTY-BY-COUNTY CASES IN TENNESSEE
What is COVID-19 (a.k.a. the new coronavirus?)
According to the World Health Organization, coronaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to more severe diseases. Examples include the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). A novel coronavirus (nCoV) is a new strain that has not been previously identified in humans. COVID-19 stands for "Coronavirus disease 2019," which is when this strain of the coronavirus was discovered.
What are the symptoms?
The CDC says patients confirmed to have the 2019-nCoV reportedly had mild to severe respiratory illness with:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
Or at least two of the following symptoms:
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
At this time, the CDC believes symptoms could appear as soon as two days after exposure, or as long as 14 days.
The CDC is recommending "common sense" measures such as:
- Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth face cover when around others.