COOKEVILLE, Tenn. (WTVF) — Five children including 4-year-old Hattie Collins died in the EF-4 tornado that ravaged the Putnam County area.
Matt, Macy, and baby Lainey are recovering at local hospitals. They’re in stable condition. Life without Hattie will be hard, but their family and church community will be there for them every step of the way.
Collegside Church of Christ Minister John Nichols visited Matt and Macy Thursday morning. Matt Collins is the youth minister at their church.
Nichols said, “They are some of the most remarkable people that I’ve ever met in my life and need all of our support, so anything that anybody can do, we would be profoundly grateful.”
A hole will be in this community’s heart forever, but hope will help them move forward.
“Without hope, we have very little,” Nichols said, “Hope doesn’t take away the present, but hope does see beyond it.”
The neighborhood in the Hensley Drive area is a pile of debris. When the EF-4 tornado hit, another church member rushed next door to help pull the Collins family out.
“It has been an incredible demonstration that we are all apart of something much bigger than ourselves,” Nichols said, “In the midst of everything they’re going through, every time I’ve seen them, they have asked about other people and how everybody else is doing.”
With faith and hope, this community will begin to heal.
Nichols said, “I really think that it’s in times like we’ve experienced here over the last several days, where hope can be born anew, and hope can be demonstrated in ways that can change everything.”
At this time, no funeral arrangements have been made for little Hattie. If you would like to help the family, they have a Go Fund Me page. Donations will go towards medical expenses, and building a new home.
Another member of Collegeside Church of Christ died during the tornado. She has been identified as Pat Lane. To help the church in relief efforts, you can donate on their website.
Stories of victims and survival
- GALLERY: Here are the victim's of the March tornadoes
- Here's what to know about the tornadoes that killed 24 in Tennessee
- A story of survival: Teen ripped from bedroom, thrown into neighbor's pool in Cookeville
- ‘They wouldn’t have wanted to live without each other.’ Family of 3 killed in Putnam Co. tornado
- Boss remembers Cookeville tornado victims: 'You can't replace Todd.'
- 'We lost everything.' Donelson couple hit by tornado while preparing for wedding
- North Nashville neighbors come together to rebuild their neighborhood after tornado
- 'I’m grateful that I’m alive.' East Nashville woman escapes death from Tornado
- ‘Nothing looks familiar anymore.’ Residents recount Nashville tornado
- 4-year-old Hattie Collins one of five children killed in the EF-4 tornado in Putnam Co.